#1 Ranked Children’s Hospital by U.S. News & World Report
MyPatients provides referring primary care providers with secure access to their patients’ information.
Boston Children's has launched the world's 1st program dedicated to offering hand transplants to children who qualify.
Innovation insider is a semi-monthly e-newsletter analyzes innovations at Boston Children’s, other academic medical centers and from industry.
Read the latest blog by a Boston Children's doctor, clinician or staff member.
There are many ways you can help children and their families get the care they need.
Boston Children’s Hospital has a long history of being at the forefront of advancements in spina bifida treatment, setting a precedent for spina bifida centers around the world. From prenatal care to minimally invasive surgeries to transition care for adults, our team has expertise in every stage of your child’s development.
Children with spina bifida face many challenges, and those challenges are different for each child. Our treatment plans are customized for your child’s specific needs and designed to support of the long terms goals of an active and fulfilling life.
Our approach to spina bifida care is distinguished by our:
• Groundbreaking surgeries: Our center and its surgeons are known for pioneering treatments such as
ETV/CPC—a surgical alternative to shunts that greatly improves quality of life. Learn more about
spina bifida surgery at Boston Children’s.
• Advanced testing for better surgical results: Our uniquely advanced spina bifida tests provide clear
and accurate details about your child’s condition.
• Collaboration among specialties: We are one of only a few clinics nationally to provide complete
coordination among specialists in neurosurgery, urology, orthopedics, physical therapy, neuropsychology,
social work and more. Meet our spina bifida team.
• Prenatal care: Our focus on prenatal care for spina bifida means extraordinary care for expecting mothers
and immediate surgical care for newborns in our world-class NICU.
• Spina bifida treatment in young adults: Boston Children’s Hospital is the only spina bifida center in
New England that provides transition care for adult spina bifida, through age 35.
Our doctors know that achieving urinary continence is important for normal growth, development and self-esteem in children with spina bifida. Our world-leading Urodynamics Program provides advanced technology and unique coordination among urology and neurology specialists to help children regain control of their bladder and bowel.
Nerve conduction studies (NCS) and electromyography (EMG) are specific tests that capture an accurate snapshot of how your child’s nerves and muscles are working. These assessments can influence important surgical decisions and improve results.
We are one of only a few clinics nationally to provide complete coordination among a team of spina bifida experts. In one place, at one time, families can consult with specialists working together to treat and support families facing the many challenges of spina bifida.
Our spina bifida team includes:
• Neurosurgeons: Performing revolutionary procedures that can alleviate the need for a shunt (a valve used to
drain excess cerebrospinal fluid from the brain and carry it to other parts of the body)
• Urologists: Proactively monitor and maintain your child’s urinary capabilities
• Orthopedic surgeons: Treating issues surrounding orthotics and motor development
• Complex care pediatricians: Caring for the whole child
• Nurse practitioners: Triagin patients, coordinating care, and demonstrating extraordinary experience and
• Specialists: Including nephrology, endocrinology and gastroenterology
Meet our spina bifida experts.
Our patients also have access to many of the other specialized programs we offer at Boston Children’s Hospital and at partnering locations. These programs may also enhance your child’s personalized treatment plan.
• Colorectal Center: Treats children with urine and bowel incontinence, offering care from multiple specialists and
personal treatment plans
• Clinical Genetics Program: Provides diagnostic services and genetic counseling for patients and families with birth
defects and other developmental problems
• Gait Laboratory (at Spaulding Rehabilitation): Uses state-of-the-art diagnostic technologies to evaluate children
with complex walking difficulties
• Augmentative Communication Program: Provides comprehensive evaluation and treatment services for children with
conditions affecting communication abilities
We are grateful to have been ranked #1 on U.S. News & World Report's list of the best children's hospitals in the nation for the third year in a row, an honor we could not have achieved without the patients and families who inspire us to do our very best for them. Thanks to you, Boston Children's is a place where we can write the greatest children's stories ever told.”