Samara Jan Turkel Clinical Center Your Visit
If your child has been diagnosed with a complex autoimmune disease, or if the diagnosis is uncertain, your contact with our Center will begin with a visit to our nurse specialist. The nurse will perform a general medical screening interview with you and your child, which will include information about your family medical history.
Next, a senior pediatric rheumatologist (a specialist in the treatment of joints, muscles and bones) will perform a comprehensive examination of your child and review your family medical history.
Based on the rheumatologist's findings and assessment, your child may be further evaluated by a specialist from one of the medical disciplines collaborating with the Samara Jan Turkel Clinical Center, including:
- immunology (immune system)
- nephrology (liver)
- cardiology (heart)
- orthopedic surgery (bone and joint surgery)
- one of many other specialties that may be important to your child's care
The nurse specialist, rheumatologists and other specialists meet regularly to discuss your child's care and share information and ideas on treatment and support.
The comprehensive care offered through the Samara Jan Turkel Clinical Center also includes coordination of:
- access to enrollment in clinical research trials for novel therapies
- family-centered education about your child's evaluation, diagnosis and therapy
- long-term management of your child's care in collaboration with your pediatrician
- multidisciplinary management of inpatient care
- rehabilitative therapy, including physical therapy and occupational therapy
- outreach to complementary medical providers including acupuncturists, massage therapists and dieticians
- treatment and support for pain problems through Boston Children's Pain Treatment Service
- the newest diagnostic studies, including assessment of immune function and advanced genetic screening