Liver Transplant Program Patient Resources
Information about your visit to Boston Children's
Each child needs different tests during the pre-transplant process, but no two appointments are exactly alike. They will differ depending on your child’s health, where he or she is in the transplant process and what information the team needs about his or her health.
Important tips to keep in mind:
- Always arrive on time (or better yet, early) for any appointment. Remember, the Longwood area draws a lot of people and a lot of traffic.
- Your physicians and nurses, along with the scheduling staff, will often ask you to bring documents with you to appointments like lab results, medical records or x-rays generated outside of Boston Children’s. Make sure you have these materials before you leave for your appointment.
- For your first appointment, bring all of your child’s previous medical records from other institutions, including x-rays, ultrasounds, CT scans and blood work.
- Bring a copy of your child’s updated immunization record.
- Often you can fax this information ahead of time. Speak with the program coordinator or scheduler.
- Always keep your insurance information with you.
- Appointments leading up to your child's transplant operation can take several hours, especially at the beginning. We promise to keep you informed and engaged throughout.
- We will tell you in advance of each appointment what kinds of tests you can expect. Blood draws are very common, as are physical exams and imaging studies. We’ll also tell you how to prepare for these tests. Don’t hesitate to ask any questions.
If you have any questions about your appointment, call us any time. Call 1-877-TX4-PEDS (1-877-894-7337) or your specific transplant program:
- Heart: 617-355-6329
- Lung: 617-355-6681
- Liver: 888-CH-LIVER
- Intestine and Multivisceral: 888-CH-LIVER
- Kidney: 617-355-7636
- Stem Cell: 888-PEDI-ONC