Benefits of care in a designated Hemophilia Treatment Center (HTC)
The Boston Hemophilia Center is the largest federally funded hemophilia treatment center in New England. People with hemophilia who receive medical care through a designated HTC have significantly reduced risk of bleeding complications, better school and work attendance and improved emotional health and well-being.
The HTC model of patient care is designed to provide comprehensive care to patients of all ages and their families. By emphasizing early diagnosis and intervention to prevent disease complications, HTCs create a positive impact on the health, life-style and long-term well-being of people with bleeding disorders.
Why choose us?
- We are the largest federally-funded hemophilia treatment center (HTC) in New England.
- Our comprehensive care model ensures every aspect of each patient's health is monitored by experienced pediatric caregivers.
- Our staff offers ongoing education, evaluation and communication, all individualized to the needs of each family.
- We are available 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- Our nurse practitioner and social worker provide education about hemophilia to schools. Upon request, they will visit the school and work directly with teachers to safely integrate the student into the classroom and gym.
- We provide patients with travel letters and wallet cards that contain diagnosis and treatment recommendations. These documents are updated annually to facilitate rapid and appropriate treatment outside our center.
- We offer access to discounts on clotting-factor replacement and other products that people with hemophilia require.
- We form close relationships with our patients and families. When young adults (generally ages 18 to 22) are ready to transition to the adult Boston Hemophilia Center, we offer a seamless transition to Brigham and Women's Hospital, located next to Boston Children’s Hospital in the Longwood Medical Area.
- We enable people with hemophilia and their families to manage the illness as independently as possible, and therefore to lead more normal, healthy lives.
Learn more about our research.
Learn more about other innovations we offer.