#1 Ranked Children’s Hospital by U.S. News & World Report
MyPatients provides referring primary care providers with secure access to their patients’ information.
Boston Children's has launched the world's 1st program dedicated to offering hand transplants to children who qualify.
Innovation insider is a semi-monthly e-newsletter analyzes innovations at Boston Children’s, other academic medical centers and from industry.
Read the latest blog by a Boston Children's doctor, clinician or staff member.
There are many ways you can help children and their families get the care they need.
Watch more videos from Boston Children's
The team of experts in the Hand and Orthopedic Upper Extremity Program provides comprehensive care to children and adolescents with congenital or acquired hand and upper extremity problems, including:
• Advanced techniques of fracture and micro-surgical care for complex
fractures and soft tissue (skin, nerve, tendons, muscles, ligaments and
blood vessel) injuries to the hand and upper extremity.
• Post-traumatic reconstruction of complex injuries.
• Care for the hand and upper extremity benign and malignant tumors
working closely with the Bone And Soft Tissue Tumor Program.
• Comprehensive care for acute and chronic sports related injuries to the hand and upper extremity.
• Emergency and urgent care for a wide array of complex fractures and soft tissue injuries to the hand and upper
extremity as a member of Boston Children's Level I Trauma Center.
• Consultation and surgical care for children and young adults with neuromuscular disorders such as
cerebral palsy (CP) and arthrogryposis in conjunction with the Departments of Neurology, Neurosurgery,
Physical Therapy and Occupational Therapy.
Our team of occupational therapists helps children with upper extremity impairment and/or traumatic injuries achieve independence in all aspects of their daily lives. Our therapists design individualized programs based on each patient’s needs to enhance her function and improve her quality of life.
Before medical and surgical procedures, we conduct thorough evaluations to assist with treatment planning and management. A comprehensive upper extremity evaluation may include the following assessments:
• range of motion
• sensory, strength and functional testing
• self-care and play skills
Our occupational therapists specialize in creating custom splints. Occupational therapists are also skilled in making equipment adaptations and in rehabilitating children with neurological impairment, traumatic and congenital hand deformities.
The future of pediatrics will be forged by thinking differently, breaking paradigms and joining together in a shared vision of tackling the toughest challenges before us.”