Whether your appointment is for an initial consultation or pre-kidney transplant preparation, planning ahead and knowing what to expect helps make the process easier and decreases your wait time.
Here are some important tips to keep in mind:
- You should always arrive on time (or better yet, early) for any appointment. We want to give you, like every family we see, as much time as we can.
- Your physicians and nurses, along with the scheduling staff, will often ask you to bring documents with you to appointments. These may include lab results, medical records or X-rays done outside of Boston Children’s. Make sure you have these materials before you leave for your appointment orf ax this information to us ahead of time.
- For your first appointment, bring all of your child’s previous medical records from other institutions, including X-rays, ultrasounds, CT scans and bloodwork.
- Bring a copy of your child’s updated immunization record.
- Always keep your insurance information with you.
- Appointments leading up to your child's kidney transplant can take several hours, especially at the beginning. We promise to keep you informed and engaged throughout your visit.
What will the appointment be like?
While each child needs different tests during the pre-transplant process, no two appointments are exactly alike. They will differ depending on your child’s health, where he or she is in the transplant process and what information the team needs about his or her health.
You may see many different types of care providers during your child's appointment: nurses, physicians, dietitians, social workers, pharmacist, medical students and others. Each team member brings his or her own expertise to the process.
We will tell you in advance of each appointment what kinds of tests you can expect. Blood draws are very common, as are physical exams and imaging studies. We’ll tell you how to prepare for these tests, but please don’t hesitate to ask any questions.
To make an appointment, or to ask questions
If you have any questions about your appointment, call us any time. If we can’t answer your questions right away, we’ll talk to the team and get right back to you.
Call us at 1-877-TX4-PEDS (1-877-894-7337) or 617-355-7636.