Located in the heart of the roughly 20-square-block Longwood Medical Area, Boston Children’s Hospital is the top-ranked pediatric hospital in the United States by U.S. News & World Report and consistently ranks #1 in Neurology and Neurosurgery.
About Boston Children’s Hospital
Founded in 1869, Boston Children’s is now a 395-bed comprehensive center for pediatric and adolescent health care. Our child neurologists also practice in six satellite locations in the Boston suburbs.
Boston Children’s is the primary pediatric program of Harvard Medical School and home to the world’s largest research enterprise based at a pediatric medical center.
The hospital has received four Gold Beacon Awards for Critical Care Excellence, has been named a Leapfrog Group Top Children’s Hospital for safety and quality, and was named one of Hospital and Health Network’s “Most Wired” hospitals for information technology.
- 395 beds, including >100 ICU beds (cardiac, NICU, multidisciplinary)
- 8-bed clinical research
- 24,758 bedded discharges
- 580,418 outpatient visits
- 58,588 Emergency Department visits
- 26,920 surgical procedures
- 249 specialized clinical programs
Faculty and staff (FY2012)
- 357 full-time physicians and dentists, 139 part-time
- 426 residents, clinical fellows and interns
- 1,254 active medical and dental staff
- 1,580 full-time nurses
- > 1,600 scientific staff, including 7 members of the National Academy of Sciences, 13 members of the Institute of Medicine and 14 members of the Howard Hughes Medical Institute