At the Center for Healthy Infant Lung Development at Boston Children’s Hospital, we provide multidisciplinary support to patients with chronic respiratory problems.
The children in our center are seen by pulmonologists, nutritionists, and social workers that have experience and expertise navigating the unique needs that children with respiratory problems may have.
Since many of the children we see require medical technology to help them breathe, we work closely with home equipment companies to troubleshoot problems and adjust ventilator settings in order to ensure that the equipment is working properly
Some forms of home equipment we may recommend include:
- nasal cannula oxygen
- full and partial mechanical ventilation
- non-invasive ventilatory supports
- assistive respiratory devices for cough and lung clearance
We also recognize the central role of families in the care of children. We strongly encourage family participation and work closely with family members and the child's primary care physician to set goals and provide care.
Our dedicated focus on a pediatric population, along with our access to resources throughout Boston Children's Hospital allows us to provide the highest quality treatment to children.
Services we provide include:
- Education and guidance regarding identifying signs of respiratory distress in your child
- Education and guidance regarding proper use of rescue and maintenance respiratory medications
- Education and guidance regarding nutrition and preventive care
- Pulmonary function tests to see how well your baby's lungs are working
- Close monitoring of nutritional status
- Education and guidance regarding such things as nutrition and preventive care
- Training regarding caring for your baby at home
Nurses are available to answer clinical and prescription questions, review test results, and address urgent matters when they arise. Messages can be left for the nursing staff by calling 617-355-7018. This line is regularly checked between 8 am and 3 pm.
CHILD Nurse Practitioners:
Tatiana Kiernan, RN, MS, CPNP Rena Schrier, RN, FNP
Shannon Despino, MS, RD, LDN
Jacky Cortes RN, BSN
Virginia Dimakis RN, BSN
Diane McInerney RN, BSN
Gretchen Sherman, RN, BSN
The PFT lab can be reached at 617-355-7510 to schedule PFTs, sweat tests, exercise studies, or for any questions for the technicians.
If a medical emergency arises please call 911. The pulmonary fellow on call may be reached at 617-355-6369.