Children's Hospital Inpatient Services Patient Resources
What is pediatric hospitalist medicine?
When your child requires a stay at the hospital due to a general pediatric health issue, Boston Children's Hospital has a team of physicians who provide dedicated coverage, and who regularly treat and manage inpatient general pediatric cases. In years past, the model at many hospitals would have been to have specialists from different areas of medicine rotate on and off the service. CHIPS provides full-time, inpatient general pediatric coverage.
Community physicians often choose to admit patients through our program because we're able to provide continuous attending-level care with general pediatric expertise, while also having in-house access to the many resources and specialists at Boston Children's. What's more, we stay in close communication with your referring physician throughout your child's hospitalization.
What are the benefits of CHIPS to your child's care?
- 24/7 attending-level coverage
- focused experience in managing and treating general pediatric health concerns
- in-house knowledge of hospital routines and policies, for greater efficiency in getting things done and knowing who to consult with
- access to Children's specialists and resources when needed
- direct communication with your child's community provider to ensure a continuity of care
- daily meetings with parents/care-givers for updates and answers to your questions
- care within a program that's nationally known for its leadership in pediatric hospital medicine
To learn more about CHIPS, please contact Vincent Chiang, MD, Chief of Inpatient Services, at 617-355-7584.