Mininder Kocher, MD was interviewed by the Chicago Tribune about the rising rate of ACL tears in kids and adolescents.
On August 8, 2013, Michael O'Brien, MD, was interviewed on NECN's BroadSide with Jim Braude. Dr. O'Brien weighs in on the consequences of performance enhancing drug use in teens.
Newton's inspirational residents
On November 14th, Pierre d’Hemecourt, MD, was honored as one of Newton’s inspirational residents. Dr. d’Hemecourt was invited to speak at the second annual Newton Inspires - An Evening of Ideas and Community.
Young endurance runners draw cheers and concerns
Texas sisters, Kaytlynn Welsch, 12, and Heather Welsch, 10, compete in races with elite athletes more than double their age. Placing in more races than not, the Welsch sisters continue to shock fellow runners, but is this too much on them? Mininder Kocher, MD, talks about young endurance runners.
Martha Murray appointed to NIAMS
Martha Murray, MD, has recently been appointed to serve on the NIAMS (National Institute of Arthritis Musculoskeletal and Skin Diseases) Advisory Council of the NIH. She takes the place of Dr. Regis O'Keefe who was the sole orthopaedic surgeon on the committee. The four year term was effective on October 1, 2012. The mission of the NIAMS, a part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services' National Institutes of Health (NIH), is to support research into the causes, treatment and prevention of arthritis, musculoskeletal and skin diseases; the training of basic and clinical scientists to carry out this research; and the dissemination of information on research progress in these diseases. The Advisory Council provides advice to the NIH on broad policy issues and makes recommendations on research proposals in a second tier of review after analysis by a study section.
ISG 2012 Besterman/McColivin Print Award
The Encyclopedia of Sports Medicine won the ISG 2012 Besterman/McColivin Print Award, a major award given annually by the Information Services Group (ISG) of CILIP, the Chartered Institute of Library and Information Professionals. The Encyclopedia of Sports Medicine was edited by Lyle J. Micheli, MD.
Schools in Mass. report nearly 3,000 concussions
A new law passed in 2010 requires schools to report head injuries in Massachusetts and the numbers are astonishing. With nearly 3,000 concussions reported from schools throughout Massachusetts, Michael O’Brien, MD, was asked to review the reported data. Learn more.
Doc offers tips to prevent school sports injuries
Benton Heyworth, MD, discusses the importance of pre-season workout regimens, proper warm-ups and making sure the athlete knows and understands their sport and assignment. Find out more.
Dover junior returns to soccer after surgery
WMUR-TV New Hampshire profiles Boston Children’s Hospital patient Aimee Hartwell, featuring her as the weekly “Hometown Hero.” Hartwell seriously injured her knee playing soccer and had it successfully repaired by Boston Children’s Mininder Kocher, MD, MPH. Watch the video.
Lyle J. Micheli, MD
- Physician Profile - eClinic
- How much should children practice their sport? - Babble, 2012
- Caution: Dangerous curves - Boston.com, 2012
- Finish line scenes at the Boston Marathon - Boston.com, 2012
- Sports are great for kids, but too much comes with risks - MomsTEAM, 2012
- Details may predict kids' soccer-injury recovery - Reuters, 2012
- 10 sports medicine specialists receiving recognition - Beckers Orthopedic Review, 2011
- Are kids old enough to be playing adult games? - Boston.com, 2010
- Sports training has begun for babies and toddlers - The New York Times, 2010
- Dr. Lyle J. Micheli: Orthopedic care for young athletes - knee1.com, 2009
Mininder S. Kocher, MD
- Female soccer players may face health problems - U.S. News & World Report, 2012
- Sharp rise in serious sports injuries in children - ABC News, 2011
- From the operating room to the winners podium - Thriving, 2011
- The picture of success - Orthopedics This Week, 2010
- Teens trainging too hard, too often - Boston.com, 2010
- Can a gene test tell you your toddlers sports? - U.S. News & World Report, 2008
- An ironman who's not yet a man - The Washington Post, 2008
- How was Tiger able to play golf for a year with a badly injured knee? - Scienftic American, 2008
- Torn ACL's, other big injuries hit little athletes - USA Today, 2008
- The rise in diagnosis of ACL injuries in children - ReachMD, 2008
Martha M. Murray, MD
Benton E. Heyworth, MD
William P. Meehan, MD
Michael J. O'Brien, MD
Ellen Geminiani, MD
Kathryn Ackerman, MD, MPH
Thomas Vorderer, DPM
Brian Fitzgerald, BSN, ATC, LAT
Sports Concussion Clinic
William P. Meehan, MD