- Applicant must be an entering sophomore, junior, or senior of college OR a medical student. Students must be currently enrolled at a university or medical school.
- Note: Priority is given to medical students; only a small number of undergraduate students may be accepted each year.
- Applicant must have a GPA of 3.5 or higher supported by an unofficial transcript.
- Students who have already participated in the Program are not eligible.
- Citizens and Permanent Residents of the United States may be eligible for NIH funding.
How to Apply
- Applications will be accepted starting December 1, 2014 through January 23, 2015. Please do not submit applications before December 1, 2014. Applications submitted early will not be considered.
- Students accepted into the program will be notified on March 31, 2015.
- Complete an Application Form.
- Return the completed Application Form and a copy of your Curriculum Vitae (CV) to the Program Coordinator (firstname.lastname@example.org). (Please be sure to save the Form to your computer before sending a copy. When your Form is completed, attach the file to an email and send it to the address indicated on the Form.)
- Letters of reference may be sent from the referee directly to the Program Coordinator.
- Additional application requirements:
- One strong, professional letter of recommendation supporting the student’s academic abilities.
- A personal statement (not exceeding 1000 words) focusing on research experience and research interests.
- An unofficial transcript stating a GPA of 3.5 or higher.
- MD students are required to apply for SPR funding and must show evidence of application to the Student Research Program. Newborn Medicine Summer Student Research Program acceptance is not dependent on acceptance into the SPR Program.
- Previous research experience and funding is a plus but is not required.
- The Program offers stipends for students, who are expected to work a minimum of eight weeks, 30-40 hours per week. Stipend levels are determined based on the student's academic level and amount of outside funding.
- Students are responsible for arranging their own transportation and housing.
- Medical students are required to apply independently for funding from SPR. All students are encouraged to apply for funding through other sources.
- If accepted, international applicants are responsible for obtaining the appropriate visa. International applicants may be eligible to receive a stipend if their visa allows.
- Students are selected by the Directors based on an assessment of each student's application, research interests, and mentor availability.
The Summer Student Research Program of the Harvard Program in Neonatology welcomes applications from all qualified candidates and encourages underrepresented groups to apply.