The Radiology Department at Boston Children’s Hospital combines individualized care, specialty expertise, and the most advanced technology to obtain the highest quality ultrasound images and provide the most accurate diagnoses for patients ranging in age from fetal life through young adulthood.
Ultrasound, which is also known as sonography, is a painless, non-invasive imaging technique that lets us look inside your child's body without the use of radiation. It uses high-frequency sound waves to create pictures of organs, muscles, soft tissues and blood vessels. We perform over 30.000 ultrasound exams each year in Boston, in the hospital's Advanced Fetal Care Center and at our satellite centers in Waltham, Lexington, Peabody and South Weymouth.
Why Choose Us?
- Individualized Care and Specialty Expertise: We use customized exam protocols for each patient based on age, size, symptoms, and disease process. Our board-certified pediatric radiologists and sonographers are highly trained subspecialists with particular expertise in performing and interpreting imaging studies of infants and children.
- Advanced Technology: We use the latest imaging equipment to perform the diagnostic evaluation that your child needs. Our state-of-the-art ultrasound units are designed specifically for the evaluation of fetal and pediatric patients, including 3D and 4D capabilities. We have a complete assortment of ultrasound transducers or probes, uniquely suited to image the great variety of patient sizes and shapes that we image on a daily basis. Color and waveform Doppler techniques are also performed regularly, on patients of all ages.
- Ultrasound Contrast Studies: We are pioneers in the use of ultrasound contrast agents in infants and children. Ultrasound contrast allows assessment of urinary reflux when instilled into the bladder. When given intravenously, these same agents allow visualization of blood flow to organs, helping to provide important information about traumatic injury, tumors, and inflammation. Ultrasound contrast studies are performed without the use of ionizing radiation and without the need for sedation. We are one of only a handful of centers to offer this option to children in the United States.
- Fetal and Neonatal imaging: A subset of our pediatric radiologists and sonographers are also experts in fetal imaging. We perform sonography on pregnant women referred to the hospital's Advanced Fetal Care Center. The diagnoses made during fetal imaging guide treatment both before and after birth. After delivery, in addition to providing sonographic expertise to the Boston Children’s Hospital neonatal intensive care unit, our radiologists guide and interpret the sonograms performed in the neonatal intensive care unit at Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center.
- Environment: Our dedicated staff of pediatric radiologists and sonographers provides exceptional care in a friendly, nurturing environment that is especially tailored to children. Our imaginative décor and age-appropriate distraction techniques are used to help ease anxiety.
Because many parents and children want to know what to expect when they come for an ultrasound, we have posted helpful information here. If you have additional questions about your child’s upcoming exam or procedure, please call us at 617-355-7840 and we will be happy to help you.