It is my pleasure to introduce you to our Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Residency Training Program at Boston Children’s Hospital and Harvard Medical School. Our mission, as it has been for sixty years, is to develop clinical and academic leaders in Child and Adolescent Psychiatry.
We accomplish this by promoting individuality, humility, collaboration, hard work, enjoyment and academic passion, all in the context of understanding that this is the start of a lifelong learning process.
Here are just a few of the highlights of what are our Program and Department have to offer:
- We are part of one of the largest pediatric medical research institutions in the world and are involved in a broad array of research from the impact of maternal psychopathology on infant emotional and biological development to better understanding prodromal psychosis.
- We are actively involved in the Boston community with our school-based Children’s Hospital Neighborhood Partnerships program and our clinical and training collaboration with Boston Medical Center.
- Our program’s training opportunity not only extends throughout the Boston area, it extends throughout the world. We have an extensive global mental health program that spans over 18 countries with wonderful faculty mentors, including a former consultant to the World Health Organization and the Directorof Mental Health for Partners In Health (PIH).
- We value child mental health advocacy and preventive practice. Our Department Chair has been at the forefront of the Massachusetts’ Children’s Mental Health Campaign, which has grown into a statewide coalition of 135 organizations advocating for child mental health reform.
- Being home to a state-of-the-art inpatient psychiatric facility that cares for some of the most acute pediatric patients in New England, we train our psychiatrists to be fully competent and comfortable when working with the most challenging and complicated children and adolescents.
- We have one of the largest pediatric psychiatry consultation services in the country at the cutting edge of consultation liaison care. It has developed programs to formerly target quality and outcomes by implementing pre-operative assessments, clinical practice guidelines for inpatient medical and surgical unit consultations, consult service care coordination assessments, and parent satisfaction assessments. Our Department Chair has co-authored the only child psychiatry textbooks on pediatric psychosomatic medicine.
- We promote teaching and education and have formal relationships with Harvard Longwood, Harvard South Shore, and Boston University’s General Psychiatry Programs
- Being situated on Longwood Avenue we are collaborative neighbors with Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Harvard Medical School, Brigham and Women’s Hospital, and Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center. This leads to endless amounts of academic opportunities and endeavors.
Our Child and Adolescent Psychiatry Fellowship Training Program is part of one of the largest and top-ranked pediatric medical centers in the United States. We set our bar high to continue advancing the field of child and adolescent psychiatry forward in education, advocacy, clinical practice and research. I warmly welcome you to join us on our journey moving forward.
Robert Li Kitts, MD
Residency Training Director