Ranked #1 Children's Hospital by U.S. News & World Report
MyPatients provides referring primary care providers with secure access to their patients’ information.
Boston Children's has launched the world's 1st program dedicated to offering hand transplants to children who qualify.
Innovation insider is a semi-monthly e-newsletter analyzes innovations at Boston Children’s, other academic medical centers and from industry.
Read the latest blog by a Boston Children's doctor, clinician or staff member.
There are many ways you can help children and their families get the care they need.
Boston Children’s Hospital’s Orthopedic Center is recognized across the world as the top center for the care of children, adolescents and young adults with developmental, congenital, neuromuscular and post-traumatic problems of the musculoskeletal conditions.
We are honored to be recognized by U.S. News & World Report. Our orthopedic team offers complete care for a wide variety of congenital and acquired disorders. A full range of associated services are offered, including physical, occupational, and orthotic and prosthetic devices.
View full list of orthopedic conditions we treat.
When you or a loved one visits the Orthopedic Center, you will see a host of talented and dedicated professionals working collaboratively to provide the most comprehensive orthopedic care.
Boston Children's is the primary pediatric teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, where our physicians hold faculty appointments. Medical residents and fellows are important team members who provide a unique perspective and component of care to our patients.
By working as a close-knit team, we conduct comprehensive evaluations of your child's condition and develop specialized treatments to reduce pain and return her to normal function. This collaborative approach allows us to treat the entire range of physical and psychological challenges facing our patients. It also helps us to provide more accurate diagnosis, improved pain management and prompt and effective treatment.
We’re proud to offer an approach to care that puts patients first. We’re also proud of our leadership in pediatric orthopedics. We are the largest pediatric orthopedic center in the nation, with 13 specialty clinics, an onsite brace shop, plaster room, and an interdisciplinary team that includes:
• 27 orthopedic surgeons
• 13 primary care sports medicine physicians
• 1 orthopedists
• 2 sports medicine psychologists
• 2 podiatrists
• 3 physiatrists
• 1 nutritionist
• 11 residents and fellows
• 13 physician assistants
• 12 nurse practitioners
• 10 RNs
• 3 athletic trainers
• a full team of physical/occupational therapists, brace and cast technicians
With a long history of excellence and innovation and a team of clinicians and researchers at the forefront of orthopedic research and care, it's no surprise that Children's is home to many firsts in orthopedic treatment. Each year, our staff attends to more than 100,000 patient visits, and performs more than 6,000 surgical procedures.
• Spinal Program with extensive experience treating all types of scoliosis and spinal disorders and pioneers in the
adoption of the VEPTR (vertical expandable prosthetic titanium rib) and MAGEC (MAGnetic Expansion Control
• Child and Adult Hip Preservation Program that has performed over 1,200 periacetabular osteotomies
• Hand and Orthopedic Upper Extremity Program that is the largest in the United States and provides expertise in
advanced techniques of care for complex congenital anomalies, fractures, neurovascular and soft tissue injuries
to the hand and upper extremity
• pioneers in the development of growth-plate sparing ACL surgeries for young athletes and leaders of landmark
research on ACL repair
• leaders of an international multi-center research study in brachial plexus birth palsy.
• founders of the first pediatric sports medicine clinic in the nation and leaders in research-based sports injury
prevention with 40,000 patient visits every year
• one of the first centers in the nation to use adjuvant chemotherapy and perform limb salvage surgery for
patients with osteosarcoma.
• the oldest and largest comprehensive center for the care of spina bifida.
• Orthopedic Clinical Effectiveness Research Center, established to translate science into care and improve the
quality of life of children with musculoskeletal disorders.
In addition to providing excellent clinical care, many of our physicians conduct pioneering research studies to get answers to the most pressing questions in pediatric orthopedics today—all in an effort to provide your child with the most innovative care available.
Our researchers study trauma, hip problems, ACL reconstruction, scoliosis, concussion recovery, growth disorders, as well as many other areas. Their work has resulted in numerous publications in prestigious journals, including the Journal of Pediatric Orthopaedics, Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery and Journal of Hand Surgery.
The future of pediatrics will be forged by thinking differently, breaking paradigms and joining together in a shared vision of tackling the toughest challenges before us.”