Here at our Heart Center, we are dedicated to achieving the best possible outcomes for every patient—as well as providing long-term support for every family. We have been named #1 in Cardiology and Heart Surgery every year that U.S.News & World Report has ranked the nation's top pediatric hospitals by specialty.
Our top-ranked team treats the full spectrum of cardiac disorders, including the rarest and most complex congenital heart defects.
Our patients range from babies still in the womb to adults. They come to Boston Children’s from every part of the United States, as well as from all over the world, for care that combines:
- The most advanced medical and surgical treatments
- Exceptional outcomes
- Groundbreaking innovations and discoveries
- Close working relationships with, and guidance for, all members of the family
What sets us apart?
Programs and Services
We maintain the world’s largest team of highly trained pediatric cardiologists and cardiac surgeons, with extensive sub-specialty expertise across dozens of programs and services, including ones exclusively offered provided through Boston Children’s Heart Center.
Despite treating the most serious congenital heart conditions, the Boston Children's Hospital Heart Center has some of the best success rates in the world, with surgical survival rates that approach 99 percent.
Whenever we can, we choose minimally invasive approaches to treat heart disease. We believe strongly in:
- Choosing catheterization over open-heart surgery
- Repairing heart valves rather than replacing them
- Using medical management in place of heart-lung bypass machines and other ventricular-assist devices
A World-Class Care Team, Working Tirelessly for Every Patient
The Boston Children’s Heart Center team is made up of more than 500 individual experts. This size allows us to offer customized care, in more specialties, for every patient.
- Our team members have extensive training not only in pediatric cardiology, but in treating all congenital heart disease.
- Our experts have developed one of the nation's premier programs for adults with congenital heart conditions.
- Our doctors and nurses are also pioneers in life-saving fetal cardiac interventions.
- The care we provide doesn't begin when patients are admitted to the hospital, or end when they go home-and it isn't restricted by a patient's age. We serve as a resource for all patients with congenital heart defects.
Quality and safety
Our commitment to delivering exceptional care extends to quality and safety initiatives, too.
- Our transplant cases are actually decreasing—because we have come up with new ways to treat conditions that previously required transplantation.
- In some cases, our surgical caseloads are also decreasing, due to our widespread use of catheterization.
- Our patient-to-nurse ratio has decreased because of our nursing staff’s elite level of experience.