Alcohol and Drug Facts
Top Ten Dangers of Teen Drinking
1. Alcohol can cause car crashes and other deadly accidents.
2. Alcohol makes some people become violent.
3. Alcohol can make good kids make really bad decisions.
4. Alcohol can damage the developing brain by killing off brain cells.
5. Alcohol can hurt your liver, which you need to clean your blood.
6. Alcohol can make you feel really depressed and sad, and even become suicidal.
7. Alcohol is illegal.
8. Young people who drink are more likely to experiment with other drugs.
9. Alcohol can lead to sexual assaults and unplanned pregnancy.
10. Kids who start drinking before age 15 are 4 times more likely to develop alcoholism than someone who waits until they are 21 before they start.
- excerpted from "Dr. Knight's top 10 reasons why drinking alcohol is dangerous for young people" in the book Freaked Out, book #7 from the award-winning Beacon Street Girls book series.
Find the real facts fast on how different drugs affect the brain and body at the National Institute on Drug Abuse and the Partnership for Drug-Free America.