At Children's, we're committed to our employees, just as they're committed to the families and community of care providers and researchers they serve. As part of this commitment, we offer a highly competitive benefits program. Not only are the benefits rich, but the scope of the offerings is broad, providing flexibility and choice to meet the needs of our diverse workforce and their families.
The benefits program has been designed to help ensure your good health, protect your finances, help you prepare for a more secure future and balance and enhance your work and personal lives. Some of the benefit plans are provided at no cost to you. For others, you pay some (or all) of the cost at attractive group rates through payroll deduction.
Read an overview of the benefits available to our regular employees working at least a 20 hours per week. (Benefit offerings differ for interns, residents, fellows and joint appointees.) You are eligible for benefits at Boston Children's within the first month of your employment.
For Your Health
We offer comprehensive coverage, quality services, choice and flexibility.
You have three choices offered through Blue Cross Blue Shield of Massachusetts:
- two HMO options and
- a Preferred Provider Organization (PPO) plan
The hospital makes a major contribution to the cost of each plan, ranging from 80% to 94% depending on your salary. Your share is paid with pre-tax dollars.
The Delta Dental Plans provide coverage for a wide range of dental services, including orthodontia. The hospital pays a portion of the cost of dental insurance. Your share is paid with pre-tax dollars.
The Vision Plan offers coverage for eye exams and lenses every 12 months and for frames every 24 months. You pay the cost of this plan with pre-tax dollars.
Health care reimbursement account
This account allows you to set aside tax-free dollars (up to $4,000 per year) to pay for any out-of-pocket health care expenses not (or only partially) covered by your medical and dental plans.
For Your Financial Security
We help you prepare for a financially-secure retirement and meet other financial needs.
Cash Balance Pension Plan
You automatically join this plan after one year (1,000 hours) of service. Children's contributes from 5% to 11% of your eligible pay (plus interest) to the plan each year, based on your age and years of service. You are fully vested in the pension plan after three years of employment. The pension plan is completely funded by the hospital.
Voluntary 403(b) Savings Plan
This plan gives you the opportunity to save for your retirement, tax-deferred. You may contribute up to the IRS savings limit each year (and, if you are age 50 or older, make additional catch-up contributions). You may invest your contributions among more than 120 mutual funds offered through Fidelity Investments and TIAA-CREF.
For Your Work/Life Balance
Paid time-off, professional development, family care services, health and wellness initiatives, help with commuting expenses, and more.
Paid time off
Earned time (ET) is the hospital's paid time-off program that combines vacation, holiday and sick time into one paid time-off account. To start, regular full-time employees accrue 30 ET days per year.*
Upon hire, you are eligible for up to $5,000 in tuition assistance to help further your career.*
Family care services
- Dependent Care Reimbursement Account: You can set aside tax-free dollars (generally up to $5,000 per year per family) to help pay for eligible dependent day care expenses.
- Child care: Children's provides several options for high-quality child day care services.
- Employee Assistance Program: You and your family members have access to confidential counseling and professional guidance to help with personal or work-related problems.
- Veterinary pet insurance: This plan covers medical care for your family pets.
- Legal assistance: This program gives you access to a broad range of prepaid legal services.
Help with commuting
- MBTA monthly pass: You receive a 50% discount on all MBTA passes and may pay a portion of your cost with pre-tax dollars.
- Parking: Discounted parking is available in various local hospital parking lots. You may pay a portion of your parking fees with pre-tax dollars.
- Shuttle van service: Free rides are provided between hospital locations, various hospital parking lots and some MBTA/commuter rail stops.
* Certain benefits are pro-rated for part-time employees.
Note: This is a summary only. Plan eligibility and costs may vary based on your work status and the number of hours you are scheduled to work. If any statement conflicts with applicable plan documents, the plan documents will govern plan provisions and payment of plan benefits.