Cancer and Blood Diseases Center
Our treatment areas
Through Dana-Farber/Children's Hospital Cancer Center's Pediatric Stem Cell Transplantation Program, your child will receive treatment at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute, Boston Children's Hospital and Brigham and Women's Hospital.
The Stem Cell Transplantation Unit is located on the 6th floor of the Main building at Children's. Your child's new patient appointment, all outpatient visits and some outpatient procedures will take place at Dana-Farber's Jimmy Fund Clinic. Radiotherapy, part of the conditioning process for many children, takes place at Brigham and Women's Hospital, located within one block of Dana-Farber and Children's.
Located in adjacent buildings, Dana-Farber and Children's are connected by an indoor passage. You will see your child's transplant physician at both institutions. Because stem cell transplant treatment may affect many organs and body systems, your child may also visit other pediatric specialists at Children's.
Inpatient care: Stem Cell Transplantation Unit
Our newly renovated, 13-bed stem cell transplantation unit at Children's combines state-of-the-art air filtration and infection control with comfort for patients and parents.
The child-friendly unit uses an advanced HEPA-filtering system, eliminating the need to confine patients to isolated rooms and encouraging social interaction with fellow patients and departmental staff, when possible. Patient rooms feature color-changing ceiling tiles, Internet access and personal entertainment centers to engage children during their stay. In addition, the unit features shared patient and family social areas to provide diversion beyond the bedside.
- Each room has overnight accommodations for one adult family member.
- Each bed space has a complimentary videophone, TV and VCR, a Playstation 2/DVD player, CD player and a computer with Internet access.
- Each bed space has a phone with unlimited, free incoming calls, as well as personal storage space.
- We encourage children to personalize their space with decorations, cards and posters.
6 West Facilities:
Children undergoing stem cell transplantation are confined to the unit until they are engrafted and show no signs of illness. To make this period as easy as possible, the following accommodations are provided:
- A kitchen with separate refrigerators to allow you to store parent and patient food. We provide patient drinks and snacks. In addition, we host one complimentary breakfast each week for all patients and family members on the unit and a weekly "treat train" with snacks.
- For entertainment, the activity room provides books, video tapes, DVDs and toys.
- Our parent lounge provides an adult resting place, with a bathroom, television, and VCR.
- The Child Life Specialist organizes crafts and other activities
We also arrange meals, have access to on-site laundry facilities, and provide local fitness center passes. We encourage families to use our staff as a resource for any needs that arise.
Outpatient care: Dana-Farber's Jimmy Fund Clinic
Dana-Farber Cancer Institute's Jimmy Fund Clinic is designed specially for the comfort and convenience of pediatric cancer patients and their families. The nautically themed 18-bed outpatient clinic includes several individual treatment and procedure rooms, multiple consultation rooms, and its own independent pharmacy. The reception room has separate waiting areas for young children and teens. In addition to providing medical care, specialists at the Jimmy Fund Clinic also offer psychological, family and spiritual support.
Located within steps of the Stem Cell Transplant Patient Coordinator's office, the Jimmy Fund Clinic is often where your first appointment will take place.
Patient treatment areas:
- Private treatment rooms with laminar air flow provide an environment as protective as that of our stem cell transplantation unit. These individual spaces allow families to meet one-on-one with members of the clinical and nursing staff during outpatient visits.
- Each of the 12 infusion beds in the Clinic has its own television and bedside space for one parent.
- Two procedure rooms enable us to perform procedures, such as lumbar taps, during new patient appointments. The ability to provide sedation for procedures assures patient comfort and convenience.
Jimmy Fund Clinic Resources
- Consultation rooms provide private meeting areas for your child and family to meet with members of our care team before, during and after treatment. Complimentary therapies, such as massage and music therapy, are also available.
- Patient drinks and snacks are provided.
- An activities coordinator and adolescent activities specialist distract young children, play games with older children, and organize outside events, such as baseball games and holiday parties.
- A Child Life Specialist in the Blum Family Resource Room provides access to educational books, video tapes, DVDs as well as Internet access and educational programs. The Blum Family Resource Room is located adjacent to the Jimmy Fund Clinic.