Cancer and Blood Diseases Center
Our treatment areas
Children with cancer, or children undergoing stem cell transplantation, have appointments at both Children’s Hospital Boston and Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
If your child needs round-the-clock care, he will stay on one of three special units at Children’s. Oncology-trained nurses oversee our inpatient areas. Most of your child’s outpatient visits will take place at Dana-Farber’s Jimmy Fund Clinic, an outpatient facility that holds multiple cancer care clinics each week.
Children’s and Dana-Farber, located next door to one another, are connected by a colorful indoor walkway featuring special artwork for our pediatric patients and families.
If your child needs radiotherapy, he’ll visit Brigham and Women's, which is located within one block of Dana-Farber and Children's.
Here are additional details about our care areas:
The Jimmy Fund Clinic at Dana-Farber Cancer Institute
- The Clinic is located on the third floor of Dana-Farber Cancer Institute.
- Our outpatient clinic includes several individual treatment and procedure rooms, multiple consultation rooms to provide your family a private meeting space, and its own independent pharmacy.
The Oncology and Neuro-Oncology Inpatient Units: 6 North and 9 North
- The units are located on the sixth and ninth floors of the BerthiaumeBuilding at Children's
- General oncology patients are admitted to 6 North, and brain tumor patients are admitted to 9 North when requiring an overnight stay.
The Pediatric Stem Cell Transplantation Unit: 6 West
- The unit is located on the sixth floor of the BerthiaumeBuilding at Children's.
- Patients receiving stem cell transplantations are admitted to this special unit which utilizes an air filtration system and infection control to provide a very safe environment. Read more about our stem cell transplantation unit.
The Radiology Suite at Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Located at Brigham and Women's Hospital, this state-of-the-art facility is equipped with cutting-edge technology for the delivery of more localized, "conformal" radiation therapy.
The Mobile Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) Unit
- The unit is located in one of eight new surgical suites in Main South at Children's.
- This operating room is built around a magnetic resonance imaging machine, so neurosurgeons can obtain real time images of complex tumors during surgery. The first equipment of its kind in the United States, this operating room will let surgeons remove brain tumors with the utmost accuracy.
The Operating Rooms
- These are located on the third floor of the Berthiaume Building at Children's.
- Children with cancer often visit the operating room for diagnostic and treatment-related procedures.
The Interventional Radiology Suite
- The suite is located on the second floor of the Berthiaume Building at Children's.
- If possible, our team will perform a minimally-invasive procedure using interventional radiology techniques instead of arranging an open surgical procedure.
The Intensive Care Unit
- The unit is located on the seventh floor of Main South at Children's.
- After surgery, children often spend some time in the ICU, where they can be closely watched by an expert team of clinicians. Children in the ICU can have visitors, and one parent can stay overnight with the child.