Innovative Academic Homes
The BCRP has a long history of producing academic pediatricians. We identified the need for academic homes consisting of residents, faculty and other trainees who share intellectual interests. We created five BCRP Academies consistent with the interests and intellectual pursuits of our trainees and our faculty:
The overarching goals of the BCRP Academies are to:
- Promote formal and informal faculty-resident interactions and mentorship
- Promote and support scholarly pursuits
- Develop Academy-specific concrete skills such as grant writing, teaching, obtaining IRB approval, participating on project teams and many more
- Assist residents as they make decisions about their academic careers
Faculty within the BCRP Academies are motivated individuals who may serve as project or career mentors and provide residents with guidance, advising, coaching and professional development. Each resident has 6 months of Individualized Curriculum built on the foundation of our longstanding and unique PL3 rotation, the Academic Development Block (ADB). This 3-month block provides each BCRP resident with the opportunity to do a scholarly project. Mentoring residents about their Individualized Curricula (ADB coupled with other clinical experiences) is a focus of the BCRP Academies.
Academy activities begin during Intern Orientation with scheduled time throughout the year. Interns select an Academy at the beginning of the year. Residents participate in a variety of Academy-related functions and events:
- Intern Orientation – Introduction to the Academies
- Noon Conferences and Journal Clubs
- Afternoon workshops and seminars six times per year
- Evening events such as Interest Group sessions or Data Blitz sessions (brief presentations by faculty of exciting research) about twice per year
- Individual mentoring by Academy leaders and faculty
- Academy-led sessions at the fall and spring retreats
The Academies are the professional development homes within our training program. They serve the individual needs of our trainees as they launch their academic careers and provide a way to identify mentors and innovative projects.