Nineteen current and recent BCRP houseofficers submitted 21 abstracts of their research to the joint spring meeting of the Pediatric Academic Societies and Asian Society of Pediatric Research in Boston, MA, April 28 to May 1, 2012. Three residents won resident research awards: Errol Fields, Scott Hadland and Lakshmi Ganapathi. In addition, faculty members Scott Armstrong and Kimberly Stegmaier won the E. Mead Johnson Award and the SPR Young Investigator Award, respectively, the two most prestigious pediatric research awards. And, Phillip Pizzo, a previous resident and previous Physician-in-Chief at Boston Children's Hospital, and current Dean at Stanford University School of Medicine, won the Howland Award, the highest award in pediatrics.
The abstracts included (resident's names in boldface):
- Silvia S. Chiang, Renee Boynton-Jarrett, Peter Gilbert, Michal Juraska, Chi-Cheng Huang, Lara Antkowiak. Low Rates of Tuberculosis Screening among Bolivian Mothers and Children with Household Exposure to Tuberculosis.
- Angela M. Feraco, Amy J. Starmer, Theodore C. Sectish, Christopher P. Landrigan, Daniel C. West. Impact of a Resident Handoff Bundle on Verbal Handoff Skills.
- Lauren G. Fiechtner, Sheryl L. Rifas-Shiman, Steven J. Melly, Dustin T. Duncan, Steven L. Gortmaker, Jason P. Block, Matthew W. Gillman, Elsie M. Taveras. Association of Proximity to Supermarkets with Higher Body Mass Index among Overweight or Obese Preschool-Age Children.
- Errol L. Fields, Laura M. Bogart, Katherine C. Smith, David J. Malebranche, Jonathan Ellen, Mark A. Schuster. Age-Discrepant Sexual Experiences in Young Black Males Who Have Sex with Males: Implications for HIV Risk.
- Errol L. Fields, Laura M. Bogart, Idia B. Thurston, Madeline Wachman, Elizabeth F. Closson, Margie R. Skeer, Steven A. Safren, Matthew J. Mimiaga. Qualitative Comparison of Barriers to Antiretroviral Medication Adherence among Perinatally and Behaviorally HIV-Infected Youth.
- Lakshmi Ganapathi, David Dowling, Nikunj Shukla, Subbalakshmi Malladi, Rajalakshmi Balakrishna, Sunil David, Ofer Levy. Hybrid-2: A Novel Imidazoquinoline Toll-Like Receptor-7 and -8 Agonist That Potently Activates Cytokine Production by Human Newborn and Adult Leukocytes In Vitro.
- Lakshmi Ganapathi, Christiana Russ, Yolanda Martins, David Schumann. Establishing General Pediatric Residency Training Programs in Low and Middle Income Countries Where Few Prior Precedents Exist: Can It Be Done?.
- Tanya Geha, Efua Biney, Betsy McAlister Groves, Renee Boynton-Jarrett. The Impact of Resource Advocacy on the Delivery of a Therapeutic Intervention for Children with Exposure to Violence.
- Eric W. Glissmeyer, James M. Moses, Sonja I. Ziniel. When Is a Change an Improvement? Use of the Quality Improvement Knowledge Application Tool (QIKAT) in Assessing Pediatric Resident QI Education.
- Scott E. Hadland, S. Bryn Austin, Carol S. Goodenow, Jerel P. Calzo. Weight Status, Weight Perception and Unhealthy Weight Loss Behaviors among Gay, Lesbian and Bisexual Youth in the General Adolescent Population.
- Scott E. Hadland, Webb E. Long. A Systematic Review of the Evidence for the Medical Home among Children without Special Health Care Needs.
- Scott E. Hadland, Dan Werb, Thomas Kerr, Eric Fu, Hong Wang, Julio S. Montaner, Evan Wood. Childhood Sexual Abuse and Risk for Initiating Injection Drug Use during Adolescence and Young Adulthood: A Prospective Cohort Study.
- Megan Hannon, Katie Dorney, Katie Stone, Julie Caplow, Jackson Wong. Thoracic Fluid Index Changes in Children Recovering with Pneumonia.
- Julie M. Herlihy, Katherine Semrau, Arthur Mazimba, Kojo Yeboah-Antwi, Caroline Grogan, Bowen Banda, Boyd Mwangelwa, Chipo Mpamba, Portipher Pilingana, Jonathon L. Simon, Davidson H. Hamer. Chlorhexidine 4% Umbilical Wash Lengthens Time to Cord Separation.
- Erica C. Kaye, Jane C. Weeks, Jennifer W. Mack. Quality of Communication between Parents and Physicians of Children with Cancer about Likelihood of Cure and Late Effects of Cancer and Its Treatment.
- Mollie B. Lebowitz, Michael C. Monuteaux, Debra L. Weiner. Personalized Medicine in the Emergency Department: Parental Knowledge, Preferences, Concerns.
- Estibaliz Lopez, Elisa Ghelfi, Harry Kozakewich, Sule Cataltepe. Fatty Acid Binding Protein 4 Expression in Lymphatic Malformations.
- Kalpana Manthiram, Athi Narayan, Emily A. Blood, Vasanthan Kuppuswamy, Yolanda Martins, K. Parvathy, Areej Hassan. Immunization Coverage and Attitudes toward Immunization in an Urban South Indian Population.
- Sarah P. Meyer, Emily M. Webster, Aislyn Cangialose, Adam C. Simmons, Karen M. Puopolo, Sallie R. Permar. Symptomatic Postnatal Breast Milk-Acquired Cytomegalovirus Infection in Preterm, Extremely Low Birth Weight Infants Is Associated with High Rates of Bronchopulmonary Dysplasia.
- Anita Shah, Candace Buckley, Munish Gupta. Nasal Septal Injury in Preterm Infants Receiving Continuous Positive Airway Pressure.
- Amy D. Thompson, Keri A. Cohn, Samir S. Shah, Todd Lyons, Elizabeth J. Welsh, Elizabeth M. Hines, Lise E. Nigrovic. Complications in Pediatric Patients Receiving Treatment for Lyme Meningitis.