Breastfeeding: Getting started
The first weeks of breastfeeding will be a learning period for both you and your baby. You can expect to see new changes in your baby's feeding pattern on a daily basis. Some key points to remember:
- You may find you can appreciate your baby's breastfeeding patterns or the need for frequent feedings when you understand how breast milk is produced.
- Let your baby set the pace for breastfeeding.
- Pay attention to your baby's feeding cues.
- The number of feedings each baby needs and the length of time each feeding lasts will vary from baby to baby.
- Trying to force a breastfed baby to wait longer between feedings, or to fit a particular feeding schedule, can result in poor weight gain.
- Milk collection and storage will be a key part of breastfeeding, particularly as you work towards moving your baby towards bottle feeding.