Gastric emptying study
A gastric emptying study is a nuclear medicine test that measures the time it takes the stomach to empty. It is often referred to as a gastroesophageal reflux study.
How Boston Children's Hospital approaches gastric emptying studies
The Division of Nuclear Medicine at Children's is committed to providing a safe, comfortable, and child-friendly atmosphere with:
- specialized nuclear medicine physicians with expertise in interpreting gastric emptying studies in children of all ages
- certified nuclear medicine technologists with years of experience imaging children and teens
- Child Life specialists to help families prior to and during exams
- equipment adapted for pediatric use, which means age-appropriate care for children
- protocols that keep radiation exposure as low as reasonably achievablewhile assuring high image quality.