Electrical and thermal burns
Treatment & Care
Caring for a heat-induced or thermal burn:
- Remove your child from the heat source.
- Cool the affected area with cold water or cold compresses until pain is reduced or alleviated.
- If a blister has formed, do not break it.
- Protect the burn with a dry, sterile, gauze bandage or with a clean bed sheet or cloth.
- If your child's clothing is stuck to the burned area, do not attempt to remove it. Instead, cut around the clothing leaving the burn intact.
- Do not apply any ointments, oils, or sprays to the burned area.
- If the burn is serious, seek medical attention or dial 911 for emergency medical attention.