Treatment & Care
While every child is different, the following are a few tips on what to do when your child bites.
- In a firm voice say, “No, biting hurts!”
- Offer your child things that they can safely bite on, such as teething rings.
- For frustration or powerless biting, tell your child you understand their frustration and next time they feel this way, they should come and talk to you.
- Use time-outs or take away a favorite toy or activity.
- Be alert and try to catch biting before it occurs by distracting your child.
- Do not bite your child for biting someone else. This teaches your child that biting is still acceptable. The same goes for biting your child in a playful manner.