First-aid for abrasions
- Calm your child and let him or her know you can help.
- Wash your hands well.
- Wash the abraded area well with soap and water, but do not scrub the wound. Remove any dirt particles from the area and let the water from the faucet run over it for several minutes. A dirty abrasion that is not well cleaned can cause scarring.
- Apply an antiseptic lotion or cream.
- Cover the area with an adhesive bandage or gauze pad if the area is on the hands or feet, or if it's likely to drain onto clothing. Change the dressing often.
- Check the area each day and keep it clean and dry.
- Avoid blowing on the abrasion, as this can cause germs to grow.