What are the benefits of regular exercise for children?
A daily exercise program establishes good, heart-healthy habits; and exercise is a great opportunity for your child to do a fun activity with family or friends. People of all ages experience positive effects such as:
- improved circulation
- weight control
- improved cholesterol levels
- blood pressure management
- rension release
- increased energy
- the ability to fall asleep quickly and sleep well
- reduction in stress, anxiety, and depression, and an increase in enthusiasm and optimism
Are there any guidelines about the appropriate amount and intensity of exercise for kids?
Adolescents and children older than six should do light-to-moderate activities for approximately 30 minutes at a time, four to six times a week. Try:
- climbing stairs
Adolescents and children older than six should also engage in more vigorous aerobic activities at least three times a week, for 20 minutes at a time. Your child can elevate his or her heart rate through exercises such as:
- roller skating
- playing games (e.g., soccer, lacrosse, basketball, tennis, ultimate Frisbee, tag)