Treacher Collins Syndrome
Treatment & Care
How is Treacher Collins syndrome treated?
Your child should be evaluated by members of an experienced, interdisciplinary team.
- No single specialist can manage Crouzon syndrome and its associated problems, as treatment usually involves doctors who specialize in many areas.
Depending on the severity of the disorder, your child may require some or all of the following treatments:
- surgery to re-shape the cheekbones
- surgery to repair nose and eyelids
- surgical reconstruction of the ears
- surgery to improve feeding and/or breathing
- hearing tests with an audiologist
- speech therapy
- orthodontics, to straighten teeth
What's the outlook for my child?
Children with this syndrome typically grow to become normally functioning adults of normal intelligence.
- Careful attention to any hearing problems your child may have will help ensure better performance in school.