Urinary tract infection (UTI)
Treatment & Care
How will my child’s UTI be treated?
You and your child’s physician will discuss possible treatments, which may include the following:
- a heating pad or medications (to relieve pain)
- increased fluid intake (especially water)
Your child's physician may ask you to bring your child back into the office a few days after treatment starts for a re-evaluation.
How do I prevent my child from having another UTI?
- Ensure that your child is voiding regularly (every two to three hours) and takes the time to completely empty his bladder.
- Teach your child to wipe his bottom from front to back.
If your son is uncircumcised, he should be taught how to retract the foreskin on his penis and clean himself.
- However, his foreskin should never be retracted forcibly. And make sure that he knows to not allow the foreskin to stay retracted for long periods as this may shut off the blood supply to the head of the penis causing pain and possible injury.