Upper GI Series (Gastrointestinal Series)
An upper GI series (gastrointestinal series) uses a special x-ray technology called fluoroscopy and a contrast agent called barium to show the structure of your child's esophagus, stomach and small intestine.
How Boston Children's Hospital approaches an upper GI series
Performing an upper GI series test in children poses unique challenges. The Division of Diagnostic Radiology provides a soothing, kid-friendly environment with:
- pediatric radiologists who have extensive experience and training
- technologists with years of experience in imaging children and teens
- skilled staff who use age-appropriate distraction techniques to help comfort patients prior to and during the study
- equipment designed specifically for pediatric use, which means age-appropriate care for children
- protocols adapted to keep radiation exposure as low as reasonably achievable without compromising the image quality.