Ipecac syrup is a medicine used to remove poison from the stomach. Ipecac is a plant extract that when swallowed, irritates the stomach and causes vomiting. It was previously recommended to produce vomiting in poison emergencies.
In November 2003, the American Academy of Pediatrics announced that it no longer recommends ipecac in the home as a treatment option. The effectiveness of ipecac syrup had never been proven and it does not completely remove poison from the stomach. The AAP advises parents and other health care professionals to safely dispose of the ipecac currently in their homes.