Plugged milk ducts
Some mothers seem to be more prone to developing plugged milk ducts than others. Review your baby's feeding routine and see if the time between one or more feedings has recently changed for any reason. Ineffective sucking may also contribute to plugged ducts. Also, check that the material of nursing bras or clothing that may bunch up during feedings isn’t putting pressure on your breasts.
What are some methods for treating plugged milk ducts?
- Breastfeed or pump often.
- Alternate different feeding positions.
- Apply warm compresses to the area affected.
- Soak your breast in warm water.
- Massage above and than over the affected area when breastfeeding or pumping, and after applying warm compresses or soaking.