The most common cause of slow weight gain in babies is related to mismanaged breastfeeding. There are many ways in which you can effectively manage your baby's breastfeeding, including:
- learning and watching for the signs that your baby wants to feed
- letting chores go for a few days to focus on breastfeeding
- holding your baby skin-to-skin when not breastfeeding
- waking your baby regularly throughout the night for feedings
- avoiding switching back and forth between breasts.
- consulting a certified lactation consultant (IBCLC)