Meckel's diverticulum scan
Meckel's diverticulum is an abnormality in the small intestine that is present at birth. A Meckel's diverticulum scan is a nuclear medicine test that detects the abnormally-located gastric mucosa. Gastric mucosa is the mucous membrane layer of the stomach.
How Children’s Hospital Boston approaches Meckel's diverticulum scans
The Division of Nuclear Medicine at Children’s is committed to providing a safe, comfortable and child-friendly atmosphere with:
- specialized nuclear medicine physicians with expertise in interpreting Meckel's diverticulum scans in children of all ages
- certified nuclear medicine technologists with years of experience imaging children and teens
- Child Life specialists to help families prior to and during exams
- equipment adapted for pediatric use, which means age-appropriate care for children
- protocols that keep radiation exposure as low as reasonably achievablewhile assuring high image quality.