Who is at risk for patellofemoral pain?
- Manual laborers
- People who are overweight
In athletes, patellofemoral pain may be caused by strain in the tendons, which connect the kneecap to:
- the lower leg bone (this is the patellar tendon)
- upper leg bone (quadriceps tendon)
- the retinaculum (which supports the kneecap on both the left and right sides).
What are the symptoms of patellofemoral pain?
Your child may experience pain when he or she
- sits with bent knees
- uses stairs
Your child may also experience
- knee buckling under his or her weight
- a catching, popping, or grinding sensation when walking, or when the knee is moving.