The Main Building Addition is progressing nicely. It is over 70% complete. This building is unique both in terms of architectural beauty and its structural design. It has a beautiful façade of curtain wall which enclose cantilevers on each side of the structure. One cantilever is 60 feet long and was precisely placed over our existing space. The other cantilever is 7.5 feet long and will provide cover for our Binney Street sidewalk as well as a beautiful exterior wall of decorative glass. Scheduled for a late 2013 completion, the Project will:
- Provide the Hospital with 20 'short stay beds'. (i.e. 23-hour Observation beds)
- Allow the Hospital to better utilize our existing DPH-licensed beds.
- Allow for critical expansions of the Emergency Department.
- Provide an increase in Radiology capacity, additions to surgical areas and provision of new inpatient support spaces.
- Provide as many as 34 single bed Inpatient rooms to meet future needs for specific subspecialties.
The Construction Manager of the project is Walsh Brothers Incorporated, a 100+ year-old Boston firm. They are managing the construction of the architectural design, prepared by Payette Associates, architects.
Much of the major electrical (emergency and normal switchgears) and mechanical equipment (Air handler units, chillers) are in place with piping and air systems. The balance will be installed within the month. Curtain wall is approximately 95% complete. The marquis structural steel at the ambulance drives is near completion. Many of drywall partitions are in place with much of the mechanical and electrical support within the walls.
Coordination and cooperation continues between the project and neighbors, City and State agencies. We look with great anticipation to the timely completion of this terrific project.
Look here for updates on this exciting addition to the Children’s care delivery system.